Valencia: City of Architecture
Immerse yourself in Valencia's beautiful architecture.
Find a new angle on your architecture photography and join us on this tour to the multi-faceted architecture in Valencia.
Spain has always been a breeding ground for exceptional architects, and its shows in the great architecture to be found in many of its cities. Valencia is one of the cities where, thanks to some ambitious city planning, less well-know but spectacular buildings can be found. The town offers a smorgasbord of different architectural styles, ranging from medieval Gothic architecture to modernisme to ultra-modern. Especially the latter, represented by buildings designed by local architects Calatrava and Candela, offers wonderful opportunities for strong images.
During this trip, we will take you to various types of great buildings throughout the city, pointing you to the best locations and angles. You will be shooting the architecture while enjoying the great weather and good food that Valencia offers in plenty. A great week for anyone who would like to sharpen their architecture photography skills in a relaxed setting, and return with some amazing and strong images!
We will take you to sites with buildings designed and built throughout the ages. We will visit medieval halls, modernisme marketplaces, but also spectacular post-modern buildings throughout the city.
Valencia is a friendly, laid-back, vibrant city, which adds a little extra to this workshop. The people are generally very friendly, the food is excellent, and you have good chances of great weather. It is always nice to explore its streets and its markets, or wind down in the beautiful Turia park. Moreover, the city is home to a few of Spain's best art and science museums, has a famous zoo, and is home to the biggest sea aquarium in Europe, the Oceanogràfic.
Accommodation & Travel
Accommodation is not included in the price of this trip, but we will be happy to help you select a suitable hotel for this trip. Also, travel to and from Valencia, as well as travel costs within the city are not included (most will probably be done walkin and public transport is not expensive either). For those of you who will be arriving by plane, it might be good to know that several low-cost carriers (such as Vueling and Transavia) offer flights to Valencia.
Arrival of all workshop participants. In the evening, we will meet at a central location to get to know each other. We will give you background information on the locations we will be visiting and some hints and tips to make the best of your images.
Day 2 – Day 6
Daily shooting sessions in the city. The exact locations we will be shooting at will be selected based on weather and participants' interests.
If you would like a half day or day to spend on something other than photography, you can visit any of Valencia's excellent musea, visit the zoo or the Oceanografic, or simply just stroll the streets and soak up the atmosphere.
In the evenings there will be time for a short presentation and/or image review sessions. As many of the buildings in Valencia are floodlit at night, we will do some evening and nighttime shoots as well.
Participant images and feedback
Read what our participants thought about this tour and view some of their images on our Valencia workshop forum.
- Valencia's surprising multi-faceted architecture:
- Gothic halls
- Modernisme marketplaces
- Spectacular post-modern buildings
- How to best set-up your camera for shooting architecture
- Tips on composition
- Tips on how to improve your images at time of shooting
- Tips on how to improve your images during post processing
What to Bring
- Wide angle lens(es)
- Tripod (especially for night shoots)
- Fully charged battery + spares
- Memory cards
- Good walking shoes! Some of the buildings we will be shooting are built on a large scale, and you will find yourself walking quite long stretches.
- External storage
- Additional lenses (e.g., tilt-shift, or tele lenses)
- Please contact us for information
- Fee: €450
- Deposit: €150
- Level: Beginner to Advanced
- Group Size: Maximum of 8 participants
- Fitness: Low to average, the scale of the buildings will have us walking for some long stretches
- Access to the locations
- Evening shoots
- Direct learning from a professional photographer and instructor in an intensive hands-on environment
- Reduced size class for personal attention, regardless of skill level
- Accommodation (suggestion: Dorma Valencia, Avenida Reino de Valencia 88)
- Meals & Drinks
- Fees for optional activities & locations